This is the crucial element as it impacts the comfort of sleep and the lightness of a duvet. The filling also affects whether a duvet will be warm enough and whether it will be breathable. Duvets are made with either a natural or a synthetic filling, where the former can be constituted by goose or duck down and feathers, silk or wool.
Goose down is superior to duck down in every possible way. Goose down and feathers are characterized by a higher fill power and are larger because geese are farmed up to three times longer than ducks. The many underdeveloped ducks’ parts – which are farmed for a shorter period of time – generate a lot of down and feathers’ waste, i.e. damaged barbs. Also, due to ducks’ higher fat content their down may have an unpleasant odour that is difficult to remove even in washing.
Goose down is the best available filling because:
- it is breathable, durable, and has a high fill power
- it has great thermoregulatory properties and ensures you maintain your body temperature at an appropriate level during sleep
- it wicks moisture away, which prevents excessive sweating or overheating at night
- it provides excellent insulation
- it is light yet covers and drapes around your body perfectly
- it is environmentally friendly – carbon footprint generated by the production of down is much lower than that generated by the production of synthetic materials. The important thing is that geese are not farmed exclusively for down; it is a material obtained additionally during the meat production process.
When choosing the perfect duvet, be sure to pay attention to the filling composition of your duvet or pillow. Mixing down with feathers or mixing different types of down is not that uncommon, so make sure to check the product description for the filling composition. This is important because the law in Poland enables a ‘down duvet’ to be labelled as such even when its down content is as low as 60%. To simplify and facilitate your shopping, our duvets are always made of 100% finest goose down!
You can use goose down duvets during winter as well as summer. They are very comfortable, but they differ in their TOG and fill power levels, so it's worth knowing how to choose the one that best suits you.